Les Chevreuils du Lac Orr ULC/Lake Orr Elk ULC
is currently seeking one (1) experienced
Farm Manager (NOC 8251)
Les Chevreuils du Lac Orr ULC/Lake Orr Elk ULC is one of the largest red deer and elk farms in Canada. Situated in the Laurentian mountains of Quebec (71 route Morrison, PO Box 40, Arundel, Quebec, J0T 1A0), the farm is seeking an experienced full-time professional farm manager capable of managing, leading, and mentoring a team of 3-4 permanent farm workers (with a seasonal rise to 8 – 10 at various times of the year).
Location of work: 71 route Morrison, PO Box 40, Arundel, Quebec, J0T 1A0
Terms of employment: permanent and full-time
Wage: $90,000 - $100,000 in addition to a discretionary bonus
Benefits: Four weeks of annual vacation, company mobile phone, company vehicle for business and private use, and company supplied housing.
Reporting directly to and working with the company’s General Manager/Business Manager and with the farm’s owners, the Farm Manager will oversee all farm operations including feeding, breeding and related operational practices. The Farm Manager will also be required to mentor all other farm staff while developing a strong and cohesive team of employees.
- At least five years of previous experience managing and providing leadership in a large farm and breeding environment, including experience negotiating sales of the various aspects of the farm production both within Canada and internationally;
- Experience leading and managing farm staff is required;
- Considerable livestock handling experience is required;
- Knowledge of animal feed practices and nutrition is required;
- Familiarity with feed composition and analysis of hay/baleage/silage is required;
- Ability to assess dry matter production of pastures together with knowledge of day to day inputs and supplements used in modern livestock farming is required;
- Exceptional stockmanship abilities required;
- Experience in pasture management and renovation and crop growing would be an asset;
- Experience working with red deer and elk would be an asset;
- High school diploma.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess:
- The ability to develop valuable and lasting relationships with suppliers, local agricultural clubs, and environmental communities;
- Strong communication and listening skills
- An interest and passion in developing new techniques for soil development, water management, and environmental stewardship;
- Attention to detail and accurate and detailed inventory management.
To apply, please send a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org